sharmi@sharmi:~/Downloads/vpnclient$ sudo /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start
Starting /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/vpnclient: insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-386/CiscoVPN/cisco_ipsec.ko': -1 Invalid module format
That is when I learnt about the new patch required to run the vpnclient with in Ubuntu 8.04
So to reinstall, I will assume that the vpnclient is already downloaded and untarred.
- Update the linux-headers to version 2.6.24-16-386 (also called kernel-headers in some distributions)
- Start the Synaptic Package Manager: System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager
- search for 'linux-headers'. Choose linux-headers-2.6.24-16-386 for installation
- Start a terminal and go to the vpnclient directory
- Download the patch for the vpnclient.
- if patch is not installed, install it with the following command.
sudo apt-get install patch
- run the command
patch < ./vpnclient-linux-2.6.24-final.diff
- sudo ./vpn_install
- We are good to go :)